Packaging is fundamental in preserving the quality and safety of food and drinks – but we recognize that this cannot come at the expense of the environment. At Danone, we have expressed our commitment to offer nutritious, high-quality food and drinks in packaging that is 100% circular, keeping materials in use and out of nature. Announced at the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting, Loop™ is a new innovative approach to shopping, born out of a desire to offer a zero-waste option for the world’s most popular consumer products. In line with our One Planet. One Health vision, and in order to pursue our innovation ambitions and meet new consumer needs, Danone joins the Loop™ adventure with evian®, our first brand to honor this partnership with its 1L glass bottle.
Eliminating the idea of waste
A coalition of the largest consumer product companies, along with international recycling leader TerraCycle, have launched a global, first-of-its-kind shopping system called Loop™. The initiative was designed to change the world’s reliance on single use packaging, by offering a convenient and enhanced circular solution to the world’s consumers while securing meaningful environmental benefits. Through partnerships in 21 countries, Loop enables consumers to responsibly consume a variety of products in customized, brand-specific durable packaging that are collected, cleaned, refilled and reused. The content, if recoverable, will be either recycled or reused. What’s more, TerraCycle works with companies to integrate hard to recycle waste streams, such as ocean plastic, into their products and packaging.
“Loop will not just eliminate the idea of packaging waste, but greatly improve the product experience and the convenience in how we shop. Through Loop, consumers can now responsibly consume products in specially designed durable, reusable or fully recyclable packaging made from materials like alloys, glass and engineered plastics. When a consumer returns the packaging, it is refilled, or the content is reused or recycled through groundbreaking technology.” - Tom Szaky, CEO of TerraCycle
How it works
- SHOP: Consumers will shop for products that are redesigned to be free of packaging waste via the Loop website, www.Loopstore.com (EN), www.maboutiqueLoop.fr (FR).
- RECEIVE: Consumers receive their products in a special Loop shipping tote that eliminates the need for single-use shipping materials like cardboard boxes.
- PICK-UP: When consumers have finished enjoying their product, they place the empty package into one of the Loop Totes, which are picked up by Loop and don’t require any prior cleaning or disposal.
- CLEANING: Loop’s team of scientists has developed custom cleaning technologies so that each product can be safely reused.
- REFILL, RECYCLE OR REUSE: Loop replenishes products as needed and returns the refilled shipping totes to the consumer. If there is recoverable used product such as diapers, pads, razors or brush parts, they will be recovered to be reused or recycled.
Find out more about Loop™ and TerraCycle here.