Proudly South-Africa dessert with a twist in partnership with Foodies of SA
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 sachets (10g) gelatine powder
- 1L Ultra Mel Vanilla Flavoured Custard
- 1 packet (200g) tennis biscuits
- Serving suggestion: Icing sugar, to dust
- Combine the apples, butter, sugar and cinnamon in a medium-sized pot and allow to cook, covered, over a low heat for 7-10 minutes until the apples have softened but don’t break apart. Set aside to cool.
- Add 3 tablespoons of cold water to a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatine powder over the water in an even layer. Set aside for 5 minutes before microwaving the mix in 20-second intervals until completely dissolved. *Chef’s Tip: Do not allow to boil.
- Pour Ultra Mel custard into a medium bowl and mix in the gelatine mixture.
- Line a medium baking dish with baking paper, slightly hanging over the sides.
- Cover the base with a layer of tennis biscuits, arranged side-by-side, snugly.
- Pour half the custard filling over the biscuit layer and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until just set.
- Once set, lay the apple slices over the custard layer in an even, tightly-packed layer.
- Crush the remaining tennis biscuits roughly by placing them in a resealable bag and bashing them with a rolling pin. Ensure the biscuits crumbs remain coarse.
- Pour the remaining custard mixture over the apple layer and cover with a densely packed layer of the crushed biscuits. Set in the fridge for an hour.
- Slice into equal squares, dust lightly with more crushed biscuits over the top and ENJOY!